SOJC: Malaysia beat Japan for third/fourth placing playoff [ 6h ago ]

Prosecution to prove Tengku Adnan took RM1 million to raise plot ratio

Last update: 20/09/2019
KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 20 -- The prosecution would show evidence that former Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor received a sum of RM1 million as a bribe to assist a company’s application to increase the plot ratio of development in Jalan Semarak, here.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Julia Ibrahim said the evidence would also show the accused had received money to assist in approving the application of Nucleus Properties Sdn Bhd (now known as Paragon City Development Sdn Bhd) to increase the company’s plot ratio in regard to a development project on Lot 228, Jalan Semarak.

In reading her opening statement at the first-day trial, Julia said the Nucleus Properties made several applications to the Urban Planning Department of the Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) for the approval but the applications and appeals were turned down.

“The money was received from Datuk Tan Eng Boon through a Public Bank cheque numbered 300109 belonging to a company - Pekan Nenas Industries Sdn Bhd, which was deposited into a CIMB bank account owned by Tengku Adnan.

“The accused’s assistance was provided through his contacts with other agencies involved and in connection with the development plan, as well as through letters signed by the accused since he was elected as the Putrajaya MP and appointed as the Federal Territories Minister,” she added.

The Nucleus Properties Sdn Bhd’s application to increase the plot ratio from 1:4 to 1:7 was approved at a Special OSC Committee Meeting on Oct 30, 2013, chaired by Tengku Adnan in his capacity as the then Federal Territories Minister.

According to Julia, the prosecution would also produce evidence to show that the accused had helped Nucleus Properties Sdn Bhd’s application to be approved.

In proving the case against the accused, the prosecution would depend on direct evidence, circumstantial evidence, and documentary evidence to establish that the offence had been committed by the accused on the same date, time and place as contained in the charges.

The alternative charge against the accused under Section 165 of the Penal Code will show that the accused had received a sum of RM1 million from Tan as an inducement through the former minister’s Public Bank account.

The accused, who was then a civil servant (Federal Territories Minister) who was in charge of DBKL, and he knew that the Nucleus Properties Sdn Bhd had links to the official work of the accused while receiving the payment.

Furthermore, Julia said the evidence would establish that Tan was the director of Paragon City Development, Pekan Nenas Industries Sdn Bhd and Nipponkey Sdn Bhd.

On Nov 15, 2018, Tengku Adnan 69, claimed trial to receiving the RM1 million from Tan which was deposited into his CIMB Bank account as an inducement to assist the application by Nucleus Properties Sdn Bhd to increase the company’s plot ratio in regard to the same project, approved by DBKL.

The offence was allegedly committed at CIMB Bank Berhad, Putra World Trade Centre, 2nd floor, Podium Block, Jalan Tun Ismail here on Dec 27, 2013.

The charge under Section 16(a)(A) of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission Act 2009, carries upon conviction, imprisonment of up to 20 years and fine of not less than five times the amount of the bribe, or RM10,000, whichever is higher.

On Aug 9, the judge allowed the prosecution’s application for Tengku Adnan’s case to be heard jointly with Tan’s.

However, Tan, 71, pleaded guilty to an alternative charge of abetting Tengku Adnan in receiving a RM1 million gratification, at the same place and date last Tuesday. Tan was fined RM1.5 million for the offence.

The former minister was also tried on another charge of accepting RM2 million from a businessman, Tan Sri Chai Kin Kong. The prosecution closed its case after 12 days of trial and 23 witnesses.

-- BERNAMA





       Previous Top Story