KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 2 -- The Works Ministry has re-appointed 11 contractors and 12 consultants for the Sabah Pan Borneo Highway Project who were previously appointed through the Project Delivery Partner (PDP).
Its minister, Baru Bian, said the decision was made to ensure continuity and smooth implementation of the project.
“I hope they will continue the work completing their packages within the time and schedule that has been set. We will not compromise on that, and if there is any negligence or delays, we will terminate their contracts unless there are justifiable reasons.
“The contractors are also reminded to ensure that the safety of road users is a priority and if the motorists have any problems, we are open to receiving their complaints,” he said here today.
Baru was speaking at a press conference held after handing over the acceptance letters for the Sabah Pan Borneo Highway Project to the 11 contractors and 12 consultants to continue their work on the project.
Bernama had earlier reported that after the end of the PDP on Sept 21, the Sabah Pan Borneo Highway project would be taken over by the Works Ministry as the project owner.
It was handed over to the state government through the Sabah Infrastructure Development Ministry and the Sabah Public Works Department as implementing agent.
Earlier, in his speech, Baru said the project involved 35 work packages where 15 will be continued under the 11th Malaysia Plan to be completed in 2024, with estimated total cost of RM10.12 billion.
“The remaining 20 work packages will started under the 12th Malaysia Plan, subject to the government’s financial ability,” he said.
He added that the project would encourage more investment in the Sabah corridor region, in line with the government’s mission and objective of promoting parity between the regions, urban and rural areas.
“At the same time, improvements in logistical services can be improved especially in areas which have been identified by the Sabah Economic and Development Authority (SEDIA),“ he said.