Op Selamat: Pahang records drop in fatal road accidents
Last Update: 12/06/2019
BENTONG, June 12 (Bernama) -- The number of fatal road accidents has dropped to 18 cases during the Ops Selamat 15/2019 compared to 22 cases within the same period last year.
Pahang deputy police chief Datuk Mohd Yusri Hassan Basri said the deaths also declined by three cases from 23 last year to 20 this year.
He, however, said the Ops Selamat this year which was launched on May 29, saw an increase in the number of accidents from 977 cases last year, to 1,148 cases this year.
“The increase in road accidents this year was due to an increase in the number of registered vehicles returning home to celebrate Aidilfitri in the East Coast states.
“Frequent accidents happened in municipal and federal roads compared to the East Coast Expressway 1 (LPT1),” he told reporters after the closing of Ops Selamat 2019 at Bentong Toll Plaza here today.
Also present were Ketari Assemblywoman Young Syefura Othman and Anih Berhad maintenance and operation head Ainul Hasri Shah Abu Hassan.
Mohd Yusri added the main factor contributing to the accidents during the operation period were the negligence of road users, besides the fact that the majority of those accidents involved motorcyclists.
“Among the causes of road accidents were careless driving, overtaking dangerously, exceeding the speed limit and careless when exiting the road at a junction,” he said.