Main Page  I  Northern  I  South  I  East  I  Central  I Sabah & Sarawak  I  Versi B. Melayu  I  BERNAMA.COM
 
 

Penang govt to seize land if tax arrears of RM65 million remain unpaid


Last Update: 28/06/2019




GEORGE TOWN, June 28 (Bernama) -- The Penang government is still facing problems collecting land and parcel tax arrears of RM65 million and will start confiscating lands if the taxes continue to be unpaid.

Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said the authorities, including the District and Land Offices, had been instructed to send reminders to the owners involved to settle their tax arrears before more stringent legal measures were imposed.

"I would like to remind land and parcel owners in Penang to settle the past tax arrears (for land and parcels) as soon as possible because those involved may be subjected to forfeiture of their land or parcel,” he said at a press conference here today.

He said 224,303 stratified property owners in Penang are expected to receive their parcel rent bill for this year which will be distributed starting this July and they include those who occupy 1,796 stratified housing schemes around the state

"The state government has agreed to extend the tax payment period until Dec 31 without imposing any late payment charges," he said, adding that the parcel rent was imposed to replace quit rent for stratified properties.

Meanwhile, Chow also reminded private landowners in the state not to do any works involving excavation or transfer of soil before submitting their application to the authorities.

According to him, although private land owners have the right to do anything on their property, their plans could not contradict existing laws.

He said the issue arose following the collapse of a retaining wall in Tanjung Bungah near here recently which killed four Myanmar workers.

He stressed that the land owner still needed to obtain permission from the local authorities before carrying out the works, even if it was carried out on a private land.

-- BERNAMA


 



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     
   
 

Floods: 19 people evacuated in Kota Tinggi

 
     

Only 297 evacuees in Kelantan as flood situation improves

 
     

Malaysia should enhance Muslim-friendly tourism concept - Mohamaddin

 
     

Construction of Sungai Nibong Besar Mosque begins

 
     
 
     
 

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

 
     
     
   
   
     
     
     
   
     
   
     
 

 
© 2019 BERNAMA. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer | Privacy Policy| Security Policy
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form except with the prior
written permission of BERNAMA. Best viewed in Firefox 35.0.1 & Internet Explorer 8.0 with 1024 x 768 resolution