Terengganu government to get former para athlete a new house
Last Update: 12/07/2019
BANDAR PERMAISURI, July 12 (Bernama) -- Former national para athlete, Azman Mohamed Salleh, who lost his home since Ramadan, will be given a new house soon through the Hardcore Poor Housing Programme (PPRT), said Terengganu Youth, Sports and Non-Government Organisation (NGO) Committee chairman Wan Sukairi Wan Abdullah.
He said the state government would provide a new home for the former para athlete, who had represented Malaysia at various competition and Games, including the ASEAN Para Games and the International Wheelchair and Amputee Sports Federation (IWAS) World Games in Bangalore, India, from 2008 to 2016 in the shot put, discus and javelin.
"For the time being, we are still identifying a suitable piece of land to build a house for Azman," he told reporters after visiting Azman's family in Lembah Bidong here, accompanied by the National Athlete Welfare Foundation (Yakeb) chairman Datuk Noorul Ariffin Abdul Majeed, today.
The 47-year-old athlete and his wife, Siti Faizura Zulkapeli, 31, and their four children aged between seven months and 10, were asked to vacate the PPRT house in Kampung Rhu Tapai, Setiu, which he had been renting for the last seven years.
Currently, Azman is rented a house for RM350 a month in Lembah Bidong where he has to bear only RM50 as the remaining rent is funded by Terengganu Islamic Religious and Customs Council (Maidam).
In addition, Azman also received a financial aid of RM300 from Yakeb for six months starting in May and the Social Welfare Department's assistance of RM400 a month.
Meanwhile, Azman, who has his left leg amputated in a hit and run accident in 2006, is no longer competing since 2016, and is working part-time as a deejay at weddings with monthly earnings of between RM100 and RM400 to meet his family's needs.