Main Page  I  Northern  I  South  I  East  I  Central  I Sabah & Sarawak  I  Versi B. Melayu  I  BERNAMA.COM
 
 

Terengganu Sultan grants audience in connection with university merger


Last Update: 19/09/2019




PUTRAJAYA, Sept 19 -- The Sultan of Terengganu, Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin today granted an audience to the top management of Universiti Sultan Zainal Abidin (UniSZA) and Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (UMT), to hear an explanation on the proposed merger of both institutions.

UniSZA vice-chancellor Prof Datuk Dr Hassan Basri Awang Mat Dahan said he and UMT vice-chancellor Prof Datuk Dr Nor Aeini Mokhtar also received the viewpoints of the Sultan on the matter, during the discussion which took place in Terengganu.

Hassan Basri said both vice-chancellors had provided a comprehensive overview of the perspectives of the Education Ministry and the two universities, in a bid to clarify the various reactions that had materialised following the announcement of the proposed merger.

"We presented the facts as a whole, the pros and cons of the merger," he told reporters after the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between UniSZA and the Centre for Economic Policy Research Malaysia (CEPR) here. 

The Sultanah of Terengganu, Sultanah Nur Zahirah is the Chancellor of both universities.

On Sept 4, the Cabinet was reported to have agreed in principle, to the merger aimed at strengthening the capacities of both institutions in line with the Malaysia Education Blueprint 2015-2025 (Higher Education). 

Hassan Basri said UniSZA would not take sides and would accept the decision made upon the conclusion of a six-month study by the ministry into the merger.

He added that unlike banking institution mergers in which one entity would normally shut down, university mergers would instead see the expansion of capacities of both institutions and this matter had been guaranteed by the ministry, including the fact that academic staff would not be made redundant. 

-- BERNAMA



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     
   
 

Brace for second wave of floods, evacuate when ordered - Kelantan cops

 
     

Pangkor Island ready to embrace duty-free status

 
     

Floods: 19 people evacuated in Kota Tinggi

 
     

Only 297 evacuees in Kelantan as flood situation improves

 
     
 
     
 

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

 
     
     
   
   
     
     
     
   
     
   
     
 

 
© 2019 BERNAMA. All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer | Privacy Policy| Security Policy
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in any form except with the prior
written permission of BERNAMA. Best viewed in Firefox 35.0.1 & Internet Explorer 8.0 with 1024 x 768 resolution