|COVID–19 NEWS||Canada bans flights from India and Pakistan for 30 days | COVID: SDDMC to monitor SOP compliance at workplaces in Sibu | COVID: Five schools in Kota Kinabalu record positive cases | One educational institution each in Johor, Kelantan placed under EMCO - Ismail Sabri | Emergency has allowed COVID-19 situation to be handled well - Hamzah ||
KOTA KINABALU, April 7 -- The number of emergency cases received by the Sabah Malaysian Civil Defence Force (MCDF) increased 17.8 per cent to 6,063 cases last year compared to 5,147 cases in 2019, according to its director Sharudin Md Zain.
He said 45 per cent of the cases involved catching snakes, destroying insect nests (21 per cent), road accidents, sickness and search and rescue (4 per cent), while the remaining 30 per cent involved other cases such as fallen trees and injured animals.
The three civil defence district offices (PDPA) which received the highest number of cases in the state were Kota Kinabalu with 1,088, Sandakan (616), and Tuaran (459).
"From Jan 1 to March 31 this year, the Sabah MCDF has dealt with a total of 1,769 domestic emergency cases involving 6,837 victims, who were provided with assistance.
"Sabah MCDF in the same period, also carried out 28 emergency disaster services covering 19 cases of floods, four cases of landslides, three cases of major fires and two cases of high tides," he said in a statement here today.
He also advised the public to make use of the ‘999’ emergency hotline to report any life-threatening incidents and destruction to property.