|COVID–19 NEWS||COVID: 2,154 new cases, six deaths recorded Friday - Health DG | COVID-19 infection tally in Singapore exceeds 60,000 cases | Govt urged to include pharmacists in Phase 1 Vaccination exercise | EMCO at Sri Jelutung quarters in Pekan from March 6-19 | Two cases of Nigerian B.1.525 COVID-19 variant found in Malaysia ||
KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 23 -- The Malaysian Hockey Confederation (MHC) is committed to make the 2021 Malaysia Hockey League (MHL) a success even though the costs is expected to exceed RM2 million.
MHC president Datuk Seri Subahan Kamal said the increased costs was due to the league having to comply with stringent standard operating procedure (SOP), including the concept of the sports bubble for the league competition scheduled to begin from March 11 to Apr 3.
In the MHL bubble, all players, coaches and officials involved will be accommodated in the same place and will not allowed to leave or mingle with those outside of the bubble.
"I think the figure of RM300,000 is not right, just imagine for hotel accommodation, food and drink, transportation, all need to be well taken care to show we are the best. We will do whatever the government ask us to do, (to prove that) we can organise the league well without any hiccups and we can be a role model for any sports in the country.
"It might take RM2 million… We have to struggle to find sponsors for accommodation, besides the great assistance provided by Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB). But it (MHL) is going to happen in March," he said during a media conference when announcing the special grassroots programme training centre at the National Hockey Stadium here today.
Previously, MHC competition committee chairman Datuk Seri Anil Jeet Singh said costs for the MHL sports bubble to house around 600 people beginning March 10 was estimated to be around RM300,000.
Meanwhile, Subahan was also sure that the Education Ministry (MOE) would provide exemptions to players with student status to participate in the MHL this year.
"Insyallah we will announce soon (about the ministry approval) but I feel there is no problem as the MOE is our partner with the National Sports Council. We will work hand in hand, and hope there are no issues," he said.
He also confirmed that all eight teams for the men’s category and six teams for the women’s category have registered will continue their participation.