WORLD

WHO Head Says Over 750 Ebola Cases, 177 Deaths Suspected

22/05/2026 09:32 PM

MOSCOW, May 22 (Bernama-Sputnik/RIA Novosti) -- World Health Organisation (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Friday that the situation with the Ebola outbreak is "deeply worrisome", with almost 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths, reported Sputnik/RIA Novosti.

"The Ebola situation in the DRC [the Democratic Republic of the Congo] is deeply worrisome. So far, 82 cases have been confirmed, with seven confirmed deaths. But we know the epidemic in the DRC is much larger. There are now almost 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths," Ghebreyesus wrote on X.

He noted that these numbers continue to rise as epidemiological surveillance and population testing intensify on the ground.

However, ongoing violence and insecurity are hindering an adequate response to the outbreak, Ghebreyesus said, adding that additional WHO staff have been deployed to Ituri, the epicentre of the outbreak, to provide support to affected communities.

The situation in neighbouring Uganda remains stable, with two confirmed cases and one death reported, the WHO chief said. No new cases or deaths have been recorded.

On Sunday, the WHO declared the Bundibugyo Ebola outbreak in the DRC and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern.

The WHO said that there are currently no vaccines available for this specific virus strain, and doses of two potential candidate vaccines are insufficient to begin clinical trials. Vasee Moorthy, senior advisor in the WHO’s research and development department, shared that manufacturing them would take two to three months.

--BERNAMA-SPUTNIK/RIA NOVOSTI

© 2026 BERNAMA   • Disclaimer   • Privacy Policy   • Security Policy  
https://bernama.com/en/news.php?id=2560461