WORLD

Iran Agrees On Plan To End Fighting, Reopening Hormuz

24/05/2026 08:09 AM

ISTANBUL, May 24 (Bernama-Anadolu) -- Iran has agreed to a draft plan to end fighting and reopen the Strait of Hormuz, Anadolu Ajansi reported, citing The New York Times on Saturday.

Citing three senior Iranian officials, the report said the proposed plan would halt fighting across all fronts, including in Lebanon, while focusing primarily on reopening the Strait of Hormuz.

The proposal includes lifting the US naval blockade on Iran and allowing unrestricted commercial shipping through the strategic waterway without Iran imposing tolls, said the newspaper.

Contentious issues related to Iran’s nuclear programme, a major sticking point in negotiations, would be deferred for separate talks within 30 to 60 days.

The proposal would also release US$25 billion in Iranian assets frozen overseas, according to the report.

Pakistani and Qatari mediators facilitated the draft agreement, the newspaper added.

Earlier Saturday, US President Donald Trump said an agreement with Iran had been “largely negotiated", adding that final details remained under discussion.

-- BERNAMA-ANADOLU
 

KEYWORDS
    
RELATED NEWS
MORE NEWS
© 2026 BERNAMA   • Disclaimer   • Privacy Policy   • Security Policy  
https://bernama.com/en/news.php?id=2560821