Dr Mohd Jusoh
KUALA TERENGGANU, May 13 (Bernama) -- The outbreak of mumps in Terengganu has reached an alarming rate of 182 cases recorded as of yesterday, compared to only 114 cases earlier this month.
State Health director Dr Mohd Jusoh said the 68 news cases had been recorded within two weeks and involved a fully residential school in Kuala Terengganu.
“Kuala Terengganu district health office staff have been carrying out daily checks at the school to prevent the spread of the epidemic.
“The best measure at this time is to isolate infected students in different dormitories to prevent it from spreading,” he told Bernama today.
To date, there were 85 students from the school who were infected with mumps but half of that number had already recovered, he added.
Dr Mohd said that the authorities had allowed the infected students to be quarantined at home, based on the medical leave given by the doctor as the school was not equipped with enough facilities to isolate all infected students.
However, he said, that students would only allowed to return home with their parents or guardians provided that they were using their own vehicles and not using public transport to prevent the disease from spreading.
Dr Mohd also stressed that students quarantined at home should be closely monitored by their parents or guardians and should not visit Ramadan bazaars or shopping malls.
Meanwhile, Terengganu Education Department director Shafruddin Ali Hussein said that education authorities were working with the state Health Department to put an end to the spread of the disease.
Apart from carrying out ‘gotong-royong’ activities to ensure hygiene around the school, teachers and students were also advised to wear face masks, daily health screenings and practicing cough etiquette as recommended by the healthcare provider, he said.