Ad Banner

Boat Tragedy: Death Toll Rises To 10, Four Still Missing

15/05/2026 10:47 AM

IPOH, May 15 (Bernama) -- Another body from the boat carrying Indonesian migrants that sank off Pulau Pangkor was recovered last night, bringing the death toll to 10.

The Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) said in a statement that the man’s body was found by fishermen at about 7.40 pm yesterday, around 3.6 nautical miles northeast of the location where the boat sank.

“The body was transferred from the local fishing boat that discovered the victim to a Marine Police Force vessel, PSC 16, before being brought to the jetty,” he said, adding that the vessel arrived at the Kampung Acheh jetty at about 9.35 pm.

The search and rescue (SAR) operation, now in its fifth day, resumed at 7 am this morning, with efforts focused on locating the four missing victims.

In an incident on May 11, a boat believed to be carrying 37 Indonesian migrants sank about 8.2 nautical miles off Pulau Pangkor while travelling to several destinations in Malaysia.

Twenty-three people have been rescued so far.

-- BERNAMA


BERNAMA provides up-to-date authentic and comprehensive news and information which are disseminated via BERNAMA Wires; www.bernama.com; BERNAMA TV on Astro 502, unifi TV 631 and MYTV 121 channels and BERNAMA Radio on FM93.9 (Klang Valley), FM107.5 (Johor Bahru), FM107.9 (Kota Kinabalu) and FM100.9 (Kuching) frequencies.

Follow us on social media :
Facebook : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatv, @bernamaradio
Twitter : @bernama.com, @BernamaTV, @bernamaradio
Instagram : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatvofficial, @bernamaradioofficial
TikTok : @bernamaofficial

© 2026 BERNAMA   • Disclaimer   • Privacy Policy   • Security Policy