REGION - SARAWAK > NEWS

Communications Ministry Upholds Queen’s Decree To Prioritise Online Safety

Published : 16/02/2026 04:19 PM

JOHOR BAHRU, Feb 16 (Bernama) – The Ministry of Communications has pledged to uphold the decree of Her Majesty Raja Zarith Sofiah, Queen of Malaysia, calling for the online safety of children and adolescents to be given serious attention by authorities and society alike.

Minister Datuk Fahmi Fadzil said the matter is already a top priority for the ministry and the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).

Under the Online Safety Act 2025 (ONSA), which came into force on Jan 1, he said the ministry has summoned all social media platform operators to familiarise themselves with the subsidiary instruments under the act.

“They must also, within a short period, implement measures to prevent children under 16 from creating or accessing social media accounts,” he told reporters after launching the Jelajah Ramadan 2026 here today.

Also present were ministry secretary-general Datuk Abdul Halim Hamzah, and director-general of Broadcasting Datuk Suhaimi Sulaiman.

Fahmi added that under the act, platform operators are required to block online gambling ads, scams, AI deepfakes, and other activities that pose risks to users.

“With fast, cheap, and widespread internet access, along with increasingly affordable devices, we are exposed to many criminal and harmful elements on social media.

“We are also seeing a rise in cyberbullying and sexual offences targeting children,” he said.

Previously, the Queen decreed that the online safety of children and adolescents be given serious attention by authorities and the public, warning that the digital space can be highly toxic and have long-term negative effects.

Her Majesty also expressed concern over the growing mental health issues affecting children and adolescents.

Meanwhile, Fahmi said the Jelajah Ramadan 2026, organised by the Broadcasting Department, will run for 20 days from today until March 8.

Now in its 14th edition, the tour involves 15 vehicles and around 40 crew members, including announcers and guest celebrities, and will visit 30 locations across the northern, southern, central, and eastern zones, as well as Sabah and Sarawak.

Launched in 2012, the programme made history when it was recognised by the Malaysia Book of Records as the Longest-running Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Programme in the country, with 38 activities conducted nationwide.

-- BERNAMA


BERNAMA provides up-to-date authentic and comprehensive news and information which are disseminated via BERNAMA Wires; www.bernama.com; BERNAMA TV on Astro 502, unifi TV 631 and MYTV 121 channels and BERNAMA Radio on FM93.9 (Klang Valley), FM107.5 (Johor Bahru), FM107.9 (Kota Kinabalu) and FM100.9 (Kuching) frequencies.

Follow us on social media :
Facebook : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatv, @bernamaradio
Twitter : @bernama.com, @BernamaTV, @bernamaradio
Instagram : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatvofficial, @bernamaradioofficial
TikTok : @bernamaofficial

© 2026 BERNAMA   • Disclaimer   • Privacy Policy   • Security Policy