WORLD > NEWS

Cuba Vows To Defend Itself If Attacked

18/05/2026 02:14 PM

MOSCOW, May 18 (Bernama-Sputnik/RIA Novosti) -- Cuba will exercise its right to self-defence if ever it is attacked, the country's foreign ministry said on Sunday, Sputnik/RIA Novosti reported.

Earlier in the day, the New York Times reported, citing sources in the US administration, that high-ranking US officials are considering the possibility of former Cuban leader Raul Castro being captured in a Venezuelan-style scenario.

"If Cuba is attacked, it will exercise its right to legitimate defence," the ministry wrote on X.

Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel, when asked about possible resignation under US pressure, has said that the idea of simply surrendering is alien to Cuban revolutionaries.

Cuba does not consider comparisons with Venezuela appropriate due to differences in the countries' historical and political development, he added.

--BERNAMA-SPUTNIK/RIA NOVOSTI


BERNAMA provides up-to-date authentic and comprehensive news and information which are disseminated via BERNAMA Wires; www.bernama.com; BERNAMA TV on Astro 502, unifi TV 631 and MYTV 121 channels and BERNAMA Radio on FM93.9 (Klang Valley), FM107.5 (Johor Bahru), FM107.9 (Kota Kinabalu) and FM100.9 (Kuching) frequencies.

Follow us on social media :
Facebook : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatv, @bernamaradio
Twitter : @bernama.com, @BernamaTV, @bernamaradio
Instagram : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatvofficial, @bernamaradioofficial
TikTok : @bernamaofficial

© 2026 BERNAMA   • Disclaimer   • Privacy Policy   • Security Policy