CHUKAI, Nov 30 (Bernama) -- The Terengganu Federal Development Department (JPP) has allocated RM26.7 million since 2023 for the construction of new mosques and the upgrading of existing ones across the state.
Its director, Datuk Abdul Kahar Abdul Latif, said the allocation from the Implementation Coordination Unit (ICU) of the Prime Minister’s Department covers works for 137 mosques.
"This includes new mosques currently under construction, namely the Kampung Apal Mosque in Besut and the Kampung Langgar Mosque in Hulu Terengganu.
"The Kampung Apal Mosque is expected to be handed over by the end of this year, while the Kampung Langgar Mosque is expected to be handed over by mid-2026," he told reporters after the handing over ceremony of the Kerteh Jamek Mosque Upgrading Project here today.
Also present was Terengganu Religious Affairs Department Assistant Commissioner (Development) Afnan Abdullah.
Abdul Kahar said the construction and upgrading of mosques aims to provide comfortable, well-equipped and conducive worship facilities for local communities.
“This aligns with the MADANI Malaysia vision introduced by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, which emphasises strengthening the role of mosques as centres of knowledge and integrated community hubs,” he said.
He added that the Kerteh Jamek Mosque upgrade project, which began on April 22 last year and was completed last Nov 6, cost RM1.73 million.
“The upgrade includes an expanded prayer hall that can now accommodate 600 worshippers, bringing the mosque’s total capacity to 1,500, as well as improved toilets and other facilities. It also includes four new residential quarters for imams and bilals,” he said.
The project, he noted, was carried out to meet the needs of a growing population and an increasingly active local community.
-- BERNAMA