NEW YORK, Feb 17 (Bernama-dpa) -- Hyatt Hotels executive chairman Thomas Pritzker said on Monday that he will step down, after documents released by the United States (US) Justice Department revealed his contacts with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, German Press Agency (dpa) reported.
The 75-year-old billionaire heir said in a statement that he had decided to retire after discussions with fellow board members.
"Good stewardship also means protecting Hyatt, particularly in the context of my association with Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell which I deeply regret," Pritzker said.
"I exercised terrible judgment in maintaining contact with them, and there is no excuse for failing to distance myself sooner. I condemn the actions and the harm caused by Epstein and Maxwell and I feel deep sorrow for the pain they inflicted on their victims."
Documents made public during the Epstein investigations showed that Pritzker remained in regular contact with Epstein over many years.
Last week, Goldman Sachs chief legal officer Kathryn Ruemmler also resigned over her ties to Epstein.
Pritzker's father, Jay Pritzker, built the Hyatt chain beginning in the 1950s from a single hotel in Los Angeles. The family continues to exert significant control over the company.
Thomas Pritzker previously served as Hyatt's chief executive and has chaired the board for more than two decades.
-- BERNAMA-dpa