KOTA KINABALU, May 19 (Bernama) -- The Sessions Court today sentenced the former director of Sabah Water Department to eight years in prison and fined him RM284.3 million after finding him guilty of 12 money laundering charges involving more than RM45 million committed a decade ago.
Judge Abu Bakar Manat imposed an eight-year jail term for each charge against Ag Mohd Tahir Mohd Talib, 63, but ordered all sentences to run concurrently from today.
The accused faces an additional 78 months in prison if he fails to pay the fine: 12 months for the first charge, and six months each for the remaining 11 charges.
Earlier, Ag Mohd Tahir was found guilty of 11 charges under Section 4(1)(b) of the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities (AMLA) Act 2001, and one charge under Section 4(1)(a) of the same Act.
The offences were committed in Sabah and Kuala Lumpur between Oct 4 and Nov 8, 2016.
His wife, Fauziah Piut, 61, and former deputy director of the department, Lim Lam Beng, 72, were acquitted and discharged of their respective charges under Section 4(1)(b) of the AMLA Act.
Meanwhile, deputy public prosecutor Mahadi Abdul Jumaat urged the court to impose a heavy sentence and a commensurate fine on the accused, noting that the offences involved public funds meant to provide amenities to the people.
"This case falls into the 'rare of the rarest' category, given that it involves the leakage of millions in public funds. The accused's money laundering was carried out systematically, making it difficult to detect.
"This embezzled money belongs to the people and should have been used for water supply, which is a basic necessity. Over the past 10 to 20 years, the media has reported that the people of Sabah have been facing difficulties with water supply, especially in rural areas," he said.
He added that if the funds had not been embezzled, the state's water supply problems might have been resolved or at least reduced.
Meanwhile, Ag Mohd Tahir’s lawyer, Datuk Ansari Abdullah, said that his client had already endured substantial hardship, including being remanded for six months before securing a RM500,000 bail.
“The accused is currently suffering from serious health issues, including osteoarthritis, which severely limits his mobility and daily life,” said Ansari. He also asked for a stay of execution for all the sentences.
Ansari stressed that given the accused’s deteriorating physical condition, age, and the long-drawn public humiliation he has faced, he will no longer be able to secure any form of employment.
He added that his client will also lose his pension and other gratuities.
Abu Bakar then granted the defence's application to stay the execution of the sentences, while maintaining the existing bail conditions of RM500,000 with a land grant as security, pending the appeal to the High Court.
-- BERNAMA
BERNAMA provides up-to-date authentic and comprehensive news and information which are disseminated via BERNAMA Wires; www.bernama.com; BERNAMA TV on Astro 502, unifi TV 631 and MYTV 121 channels and BERNAMA Radio on FM93.9 (Klang Valley), FM107.5 (Johor Bahru), FM107.9 (Kota Kinabalu) and FM100.9 (Kuching) frequencies.
Follow us on social media :
Facebook : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatv, @bernamaradio
Twitter : @bernama.com, @BernamaTV, @bernamaradio
Instagram : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatvofficial, @bernamaradioofficial
TikTok : @bernamaofficial